Welcome to phpBB3

News and views from the Sticker's retreat in Scotland
Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to phpBB3

Post by Admin »

This is an example post in your phpBB3 installation. Everything seems to be working. You may delete this post if you like and continue to set up your board. During the installation process your first category and your first forum are assigned an appropriate set of permissions for the predefined usergroups administrators, bots, global moderators, guests, registered users and registered COPPA users. If you also choose to delete your first category and your first forum, do not forget to assign permissions for all these usergroups for all new categories and forums you create. It is recommended to rename your first category and your first forum and copy permissions from these while creating new categories and forums. Have fun!

Marc

Re: Welcome to phpBB3

Post by Marc »

Test icons
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I see the icons... looks great. Didn't know that EACH TOPIC THREAD would get the "kx..." icon displayed beside it, but anyway.

Most recently I created a forum, "Sticky's 15th year" and I uploaded an appropriate icon (32 x 32 pixels) but so far it is not showing up.

8:30 p.m. Eastern update: I've double-checked it several times. Wonder which "you must tick this button" radio button I'm missing.
Marc

Post by Marc »

You don't like the icons beside stuff? It would look pretty plain without it but you can just create transparent icons or delete the ones you don't want in the STYLES | PROSILVER | THEME | IMAGES folder.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hmmm... my first "Posting Approval".

I guess they're okay, just a bit of a surprise to see the long line of them, repeated. I don't think they appear that way to the casual observer who's using a small mobile... device. But anyway....

Screenshot here of my cell phone and what I see... I'm curious where the little dog went, but maybe I am a casual browser and I'm not seeing him? Anyway the next issue seems to be how to shorten the "description" in each field. Also it would be interesting to see whether adding a fourth (and fifth) forum or category bumps the "login" box from the main screen, or if it all gets smaller or if forums "4" and "5" will go UNDER the login box, or...???
early-screenshot.jpg
early-screenshot.jpg (89.24 KiB) Viewed 14881 times
Marc

Post by Marc »

That's weird because on my phone the Sticky icons show up just fine, as they are supposed to.

I'm looking in the icons directory and all of those stock icons that look like that are gone and replaced - so I think this must have to do with your phone's browser caching them. Try dragging the screen down and letting and letting go to make the browser window refresh.

Yes, more forums will bump the login box below the screen, and adding more will forums will require scrolling. This is normal - people know how to scroll to get to things and you needn't worry about forcing everything onto one screen. Of course in general with web design you want your important things on the first screen people see but if they are interested they will further, but they won't be interested if everything is scrunched onto one screen in a distrustful way.
Marc

Post by Marc »

BTW, do you want me to add some custom BBCodes to this one like I did to the test Stelex one? Liek CENTER, etc. The BBCodes seem very sparse in PHPBB compared to something like SMF.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

(It's) Your call on adding the BBCodes... I don't think I have twigged to it yet. Most recently I noticed that the IMBd.com web page (Internet Movie Database) was kind of centered on my 14,000-pixels-wide monitor here, with two dull areas of nothing on both sides.

Ok, I think I get it about the general screen design, eg. you confirmed that if I add more forums people will have to scroll, on the main page.

I noticed that in the Extensions here on the Sticky Forum, I don't have the "Announcement" thing. And over on PrivateLabel I had put the timer on, for the "announcement", ergo the Man Ray quotation. And it tripped the timer and got turned off. Now what? It seems to still be off, on PrivateLabel.

Roman
Marc

Post by Marc »

Admin wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:41 pm (It's) Your call on adding the BBCodes... I don't think I have twigged to it yet. Most recently I noticed that the IMBd.com web page (Internet Movie Database) was kind of centered on my 14,000-pixels-wide monitor here, with two dull areas of nothing on both sides.
That's what I was saying before - you have to consider all devices that people have. Most people looking at IMDB are doing so on their mobile devices so if you jammed a bunch of stuff across the whole page it's that much more that has to be configured into one column so people can wade through it before they get to what they want. Too much empty space can be a waste, but too much clutter is impossible to use on small screens.

BBCodes don't have anything to do with the overall formatting. When you are writing a message (not using Quick Reply - I normally turn that off myself but some people like it) the BBCodes are the buttons you see right above the editor - Bold, Italics, Underline, etc. Anything can be added - like on Private Label I added a Center button/bbcode.
Admin wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:41 pm Ok, I think I get it about the general screen design, eg. you confirmed that if I add more forums people will have to scroll, on the main page.
Yes, and that shouldn't affect whether you have more forums or not.

I noticed that in the Extensions here on the Sticky Forum, I don't have the "Announcement" thing. And over on PrivateLabel I had put the timer on, for the "announcement", ergo the Man Ray quotation. And it tripped the timer and got turned off. Now what? It seems to still be off, on PrivateLabel.
[/quote]

You do have "Announcement" here on the Sticky Forum - you just haven't set it up and turned it on. It's under Extensions.

On the Private Label - hmm, that's weird, it was turned off.